Scarily, many soaps on our supermarket shelves are synthetic detergent products, rather than true soaps. True soaps are healthy and safe for our skin. While synthetic soaps simulate the properties of real soap, they certainly aren’t as good for us. It can be confusing to know what you’re getting, so we’ve broken it down to help you choose the right soap for you and your family:
The truth about fragrance
Despite many soaps being marketed with “natural fragrance”, it is anything but natural. You see, these types of fragrances are chemical oils that are produced to smell like the scents found in nature.
The only fragrances that actually come from nature are essential oils. Essential oils are concentrated extracts from plants and are usually steam-distilled from roots, leaves, bark and citrus fruit skins. Essential oils always smell better than synthetic fragrances, and they are also gentler on the skin when used appropriately.
Of course, if you have skin sensitivities, fragrance-free soap may be the best option for you.
Ingredients to avoid
The skin absorbs anything you apply to it, and your internal systems are then exposed to the properties of those products. That’s why it’s important to pay attention to what you apply to your skin and avoid synthetic ingredients like these:
· Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS): a surfactant which is a key ingredient in laundry detergents. According to Underground Health Reporter, sulphates are irritating and drying to the skin.
· Sodium laureth sulphate (SLES): a cheap foaming agent which can be contaminated with a suspected carcinogen (dioxane) during the manufacturing process.
· Triclosan: an antibacterial which disrupts nature’s balance when it enters our waterways.
Ingredients to love
Real soap with natural ingredients not only cleans your body but can improve your health inside and out. Here are just a few of our favourites:
· Avocado oil is soothing to irritated and damaged skin. The antioxidants present in avocado oil have been found to increase collagen metabolism which makes it a valuable anti-ageing ingredient. With all these incredible benefits, we felt compelled to include it in all our soap bars!
· Sweet orange essential oil has uplifting and calming benefits to the mood and mind, as well as having antiseptic properties – great for the skin! Try it in our beautiful citrus soap.
· Macadamia oil is non-greasy, so is a rich moisturiser with skin-firming benefits. Just like avocado oil, you’ll find it in all of the Biologika soap bars.
We hope you now have a better understanding of the difference between synthetic and natural soap products. We know which one we prefer!
You can find more information on ways to avoid toxins by using natural products here.